Tuesday, 19 May 2009

Everyday pains..

Almost everybody have their own everyday pains and problems during the trainings... Today I just wanted to share my crosses and wanted to know if there is any other way to heal these things.

Fasciitis Plantaris

It seems that there are many orienteerers with the same problem. My feet are a bit "cavus" (the middle part of them is higher) so sometimes (when training more on pavement) I have that anoying pain. Sometime ago I did custom made orthoses with an arch support in a shop that supplies the portuguese guys from athletics that really reliefs the pain. I avoid using them everyday because i don't want my foot tendons to get lazy (and me ending dependent on them) but they are an huge help. The other thing I do is rolling my feet over a Golf ball when my tendons ache. It's an excruciating pain, but I'm ready to train in the next day.


Meniscal pain
Yes, about 1-1/2 year ago I did a small meniscal fracture that prevented me from training about 4months (I wanted to avoid surgery). Sometimes I have those minor pains to which seem to have no treatment (except surgery). There is not a great scientific support to this, but with an increased hydration and with a supplement of Glucosamine (one of the constituents of the cartilage) my aches seem to get better. Even if I've talked with some doctors that tell me that Glucosamine is only for old fellows with arthrosis, there are some studies that support it:
...glucosamine supplementation can provide some degree of pain relief and improved function in persons who experience regular knee pain...The trends in the results also suggest that, at a dosage of 2000 mg 'milligrams per day, the majority of improvements are present after six weeks."
In British J. of Sports Med., vol. 37, 2003.


Muscle aches

My muscle aches have been relieved (and the lesions disappeared) since I've tried ICE. It's amazing! We sometimes do an ice bath after the intervaled trainings (there's a place to do it in the track) and I'm just a new guy in the day after. In the other hand there are some friends of mine that can't even handle 30sec in the tub because they're too sensible(so the 12min are impossible for them). Once again there is some controversy about it, but it seems to have some effect:
...intense exercise actually causes microtrauma, or tiny tears in muscle fibers. This muscle damage not only stimulates muscle cell activity and helps repair the damage and strengthen the muscles ( muscle hypertrophy), but it is also linked with delayed onset muscle pain and soreness (DOMS) , which occurs between 24 and 72 hours after exercise.
The ice bath is thought to:
- Constrict blood vessels (which should be bad)
- Decrease metabolic activity and slow down physiological processes
- Reduce swelling and tissue breakdown
But then, with rewarming, the increased blood flow speeds circulation, and in turn, improves the healing process.


And that's it! Fortunately, no more pains!

The next weeks will be tough... I'm already preparing some exams while training well.

This weekend National Universitary O-Champs. Next weekend National Absolute Champs. Then travelling to Finland to a 1week O-Camp. Can't wait for it!

6 comments:

Ricardo Telmo said...

Muito bom blog; continua..

Ricardo Telmo said...

Bom Blog! sou 1 leitor assiduo

Ricardo Telmo said...

Bom Blog!

Robert Lewis said...

Have you tried the Strassbourg Sock? Apparently good for plantar fascitis: http://www.runnersworld.com.au/strassburgsock.html
It is popular in Australia.

Ivo said...

Plantar Fasciitis is some shit ... I'm having problems with it once in a while ..

Anonymous said...

try this: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-286--13017-0,00.html

It really helps with plantar fascitis. But the best ways are ice on the pain area every day for 15 mins + keeping your calfs loose.

My pains seem to come when my calfs are tight, so stretching + massage is great.

-Tuomas, Finland