Sunday, 13 December 2009

Christmas GP - 30'24 (9700m)

Today it was Lisbon's Christmas Grand Prix. A really fast race with a descending end that allows fast times. All the big guys usually compete in this race and so I chose this one as the 1st athletics race of the season.

Started fast with the pack. I didn't attack with the 2nd group at the right time (3rd km) and ended running all the race by myself. I would have easily done less 30sec. I also think that I should have pushed harder once I didn't end with the tiredness that I should had (I tought that I wouldn't be able to cope with the fast paces of the beginning).
(The paces have some variations due to the 4 tunnel slopes that don't appear in the altimetry)

As the 1st race of the season I was mildly satisfied. Sad for not having been able to go with them, happy with the way I felt all the way. My rythm was to 31'15 at 10km. As the coach told me in the end, the evolution is a continuum. In this part of the season I don't have a competitive rythm yet and I'm not able to make many rythm variations. We'll start working on that, as usual, from January.

The results are as follows:
1.º Valerijs Zolnerovics (Latvia) 28:04
2.º Manuel Ferraz (Benfica) 28:24
3.º Túlio Gomes (Sporting) 28:27
4.º António Travassos (Sporting) 28:27
5.º Carlos Silva (Sporting) 28:31
(...)
25º Miguel Reis e Silva (Benfica) 30:24

Next athletics race will probably be Amadora's S.Silvester on the 31st of December. It's an amazing 10k night race with lots of people cheering up all the way (maybe too many!). It usually has the best portuguese athletes plus 3 or 4 kenyans (that usually win). Until then, I'll continue making my schedule.

And, if you want to know why Runners are different, check this (awesome!!).

No comments: