Friday, 1 January 2010

Christmas training camp and S.Silvester

From 26th to 29th we're training in Gafanhoeira, kindly hosted by Tiago Aires and Gafanhoris. 4 days, 7 training sessions in a terrain where the progression was really difficult due to the amount of water on the ground. The normal was being stuck by the ankle.
I felt that my navigation got better during these days. Afterall, the last time I had done orienteering had been almost 1 month earlier.

1 - A nice fast terrain as a warm up to the next weekend's WRE.
2 - We started and ended in the 10th control. A really heavy terrain with a much bigger lake.
3 - A nice mass start in the heaviest terrain.





In the last day of 2009 I went to Amadora's S.Silvester. It had a fantastic atmosphere with lots of people in the streets shouting "Benfica" as I passed by (my athletics club is one of the best portuguese soccer clubs). It's a competition to repeat, just by its spirit! The course was really tough! With such a big prize money (1st - 2500€) all the big guys were there. The race was won by Joseph Ebuya, one of the best Kenyan athletes (PB 5000m - 12'51) with a time of 28'39.

I started well but not fast enough to go with the guys that I wanted. Did all the race with a crazy Master. In the final descent I had a sharp bilateral abdominal pain and ended slowing down a lot (red square). I could have easily done less 25sec if I had gone with Ginja. I was 27th overall with a time of 33'15. It was a nice competition to gaign some rythm but I think that I can do better than that. You can find all the results here.


(Photos by Paulo Fernandes)
Tomorrow some sandy long intervals with the coach in Caparica beach. The tough studying times are coming. We'll see...

No comments: