Monday, 18 October 2010

Tower running and 1st trains in the cold

This was the craziest race of my life. Last friday I did a tower running race in Vienna. 700 stairs, 35 floors. I was expecting a soft climb up to the top. I started fast and when I thought "i'm pretty tired, how many floors to the end?" I was passing by the sign of the 16th floor. The rest was just a mix of suffering to the top and ended the race so, so dizzy! (as you may see in the photo below that was taken in the downstairs screen). In the last meters I could barely walk and my lungs ached so much during the next minutes. I did 3'34 and was 9th. There were some professional guys (yes, there are professional guys in this tower running scene!) and I was satisfied with my result. You may find the results here (forget the Dr.; it was a joke of who made the entry). Maybe someday I'll repeat the experience with an improved know-how on the subject. =)


Then I went to Linz to the Austrian Night Champs. I ran Open class as this is the last race of the season. During the race, a spike bent forward and I ended the race in some pain. It's even a bit sore right now and I hope that I won't feel anything in the next days.

It has been a great experience here in Austria. Cool training partners, really friendly orienteerers and, at least, 2 trains a week with a map on my hands (which is what I really need right now!). My training loads are a bit lower but much more orienteering directed.



2 comments:

Nelson Graça said...

boa sorte Dr ;) mostra aí a raça do zé portuga!

Joaquim Sousa said...

O verdadeiro treino de escadas...

Sousa