Thursday, 6 October 2011

End of 2011 season

I've participated in the portuguese training camp to WOC 2012 27Sept-2Oct in Switzerland to close the season. The last race with a forest map had been 3 months before so I wasn't expecting too much. However I got better day by day and enjoyed the Swiss terrains. I liked the World Cup race but was disappointed by some avoidable losses of time.

TICKS, TICKS, TICKS...

In the last day in Swiss terrains I extracted a tick from my hand (had been there less than 2h). 2 days after I got swollen and painful axillary lymph nodes and I was advised to do antibiotic profilaxy to Lyme disease. Probably this is a recurrent thing among orienteerers once ticks are spread all over Europe, but in Portugal (and Iberic peninsula) it isn't a problem. Even if the rate of infected ticks with TBE (tick born encephalitis) is between 0.5% and 3%, I'm considering being vaccinated to TBE once I like to be on the safe side.

All over Switzerland 5-30% (up to 50%) of ticks are infected with the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. An estimated 3’000 people yearly contract the so-called Lyme disease caused by this bacterium. Lyme disease can be treated with antibiotics.

In Switzerland, in 2005 the cases of TBE (tick born encephalitis) drastically increased with 200 cases, compared to an average of 100 per year during the preceding 5 years. Certain patients can experience paralysis of arms, legs or facial nerves, which can lead to permanent disabilities. There is a well-tolerated and efficient vaccination against tick-borne encephalitis.


+ info about ticks at here, here and here (last one by british orienteering).

WHAT'S NEXT...

Now, a 15 day deserved physical rest. Can't wait for next season. It'll be the first one as a doctor, rather than a student. Without exam seasons, that means 52 WHOLE free weekends per year to train as an animal. I've signed for Maratona Clube de Portugal, a club with world class athletes and I'm confident that I'll be able to improve my physical capabilities.

3 comments:

Jorge Fortunato said...

Granda menino.. Era só 1 carracinha e foste logo à farmácia! :D

Joaquim Margarido said...

Caríssimo Miguel:
Aproveita bem este repouso merecido.
As maiores felicidades para essa nova vida, enquanto médico e no Maratona CP.
Um forte abraço.
JOAQUIM MARGARIDO

Miguel Reis e Silva said...

- Jorge: 1carraçona! cobra, check; carraça, check. =)
- Joaquim: obrigado pelo incentivo; sem querer cair num lugar comum, "para a próxima época é que vai ser!"