Monday, 18 June 2012

Jukola!

Jukola wasn't on my season schedule this year. However I was invited by Hadeland O-Lag to join their team and I didn't want to miss this oportunity. It was my first Jukola and as an athlete from a country where orienteering isn't known at all (I'm known at work as the guy that runs in the forest "doing something") I couldn't imagine the big event that Jukola, in fact, is. I ran the last leg and did lots of mistakes, as the Splits show here. 4x5min misses in different controls is just too much! I think that's why is so important to compete in scandinavia: because if you master terrains where you need to focus all the time, you master it all.

(right click on the map--> open in new window = higher resolution)

By the way, I'm reading this famous bestseller about human psychology/psychoeconomy and I've found that it has many orienteering applications: "(...) moving my body along the path, a mental effort of self-control is needed to resist the urge to slow down. Self -control and deliberate thought apparently draw on the same limited budget of effort". I've read half of it and now I'm sure that one of my main flaws is navigating using my System1 without using my System2.

No comments: