Monday, 25 June 2012

Orienteering under 38ºC = HELL!

This weekend's national event in Arraiolos was a real challenge! (maps with higher resolution: right click on the photo--> open in new window).

Middle distance - I oversimplified the terrain. The controls were really hidden between the rocks and lost many seconds in the control circles. Big mistakes at 1st (20''), 5th (1min15), 9th (30''), 10th (1min15) and 13th (50'').


Sprint - Had some trouble jumping the fence to the 5th and lost lots of time there. Really good feelings when I entered the city part. The sense of weakness from the last weeks has disappeared with some easy training days.


Long distance - This was the real challenge, 14.4k (455m), 1h38 under 38ºC! I felt physically well (better than expected) but wasn't motivated enought to battle the heat. Lost to the 6th (1min), 9th (30'' - ran to 18th direction), 11th (50''), 20th (40''), 23th (1min30). I drank 2.5L of water in the 5min after the race!!





WOC is near and the final preparations are being made. Since running is fashion this season among the portuguese population, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get a place in next weekend's road race. For the SECOND time this season, I get sold out entries 2 weeks before the race!. Anyway, I'll find a way to physically test my body next weekend.

No comments: